Saturday, May 29, 2004

Naked I came into this world...

...and naked I will blog, only I can already feel my own blogs growing stale and jaundice and gaining an insipid shelf-life though they are still so very addictive you could probably get a good street price for them...addicitive in almost a keyhole voyuristic-what-piece-of-attire-will-be-sloughed-next sort of way. Everything I've written so far looks like heaps of unwanted bargain books at Barnes and Nobles. Writing is an odd profession. As novelist Richard Powers says in Galatea 2.2 the author (more or less states that), by diving into this odd literary lifestyle writers vex their families and inspire the lifes of total strangers. Boy do we ever. Mother and I are just finally getting along even though I can't give her a copy of my last published short story becasue it uses the F-word as a clumsy invective. I've probably spent sixty hours on that short story but if mom saw it she would consider it verbiage. My friend AJ--the creature who placed water-wings around my limbs and then (surprise) tossed me into this blog puddle is someone I really admire but would probably only squint at in forlorn nostalgia if we inadvertantly brushed shoulders while passing each other in the International wing of O'Hare. I can't even tell you what her voice sounds like, yet we've been playing post-it-comment ping-pong the last day-and-a-half and I feel that what she has to say is worth a great deal.

(+there's a few books burning inisde my friend AJ that I can't wait to read someday!!! When you see her visage painted inside a Bookstore mosaic, you can say that I called my shot even way back when!)

So here's my new BLOG context. The "Eternity" Blog could be called my shit, shower, shave Blog. It'll be a mirror about what I think is going on currently in my life and more importanly, the world. Say, for instance, how I think that Kobe Bryant should be castrated b/c young boys are going to emulate him and think it's ok to screw whatever you want b/c if your living large enough, you'll be able to get away with it or how I'd like to inform President Bush that Cancer, HIV and poverty are also Weapons of Mass Destruction and pain that have been found to reek mass havoc and are already imminent in the soil of our nation, planted like a landmines waiting to be pricked-off by unsuspecting limbs.

The "Eternity" blog will also shed the romantic perils of Swissy-Missy; what happens when you ingest copious amounts of caffeine into your immune system on a daily basis, stuff like that....
The eternity Blog is essentially the a.m. Blog. It's what I massage the keyboards with before I belly-flop into microsoft Word and listen to an annoying Paperclip assistant remind me once again that I mispelled a word by scraggiling a red line beneath my sentences.

The "Recital" BLOG is the one you should pay attention to becasue it's not about me solipsistically sulking. Yesterday I had so much fun BLOGGING that I gradually transitioned into the corpulent, overly-opinionated comic-book guy off the Simspons. What freedom writing (art, blogging, ect.) grants, but like any Dedalus I flapped my wings so hard at ny new found nickelodeon that I found myself with plenty of ink and parchment, but void of quills for which to write.

The more and more I slap the scattered alphabet on the keyboard in search of a good sentence or a solid image the more and more i feel that art and living is a somewhat reciprocated activity...that art sometimes frees us and takes us to places and that we get out what we put in. Put more simply, thank god for the stories we write and thank god for the stories of other people. In the movie FIELD OF DREAMS, Kevin Costner is denied access into the field he built--the crazy, picaresque, visionary baseball field he erected in the middle of a cornfield--much to his neighbors dismay--while monopolizing all his savings in the process. The see-through baseball suited wraith grants James Earl JOnes access and when Kevin Costner throws a hissy-fit, the wraith just sort of looks at him minty-eyed austerely and modestly inquires, "You did all this for you?"

The "Recital" p.m. Blog will often have a thing and be directed toward other people. Starting tomorrow the Recital theme will be people (mystical, literary protagonist sort-of-individuals) I've met and loved who've had a profound influence on my life. I've whittled it down to 9--one for every entrance to the house of worship. This is a great writing excercise becasue it makes you thankful and you can reminisce at the same time. Tomorrow's recital will feature the the folk trobadour--a person who gives music, who's playing tonight at Sullivan's 10-2, so for all you townies....

gotta go know. Blog blog blog blog blog blog blog. I'm gonna go home, feng-shui and play a THE SOUND OF SILENCE on my Melodica........"Hello Darkness my old friend........."

2 comments:

Arya said...

it is funny how little we technically know each other yet how much we know each other. if I were examining a lineup of people, i don't know that i could pick you out. if i were examining a lineup of souls, i would spot you in a crowd of thousands. i really do enjoy reading your entries. you are much too hard on yourself. you are probably used to using the words "good writing" on polished work ready for mass publication. if this is stale and jaundice, i'm embarrassed to read your real writing (when am i going to get that honor by the way?) and i'm even more embarrassed, terribly horribly embarrassed by your book comment. how am i going to continue blogging now? i'll get found out.

David Von Behren said...

Thanks for your kind words!!!! I'm all blogged out! I never heard of a blog before you introduced it to me "'A blog' isn't that a word like 'aplomb' or 'aloof'?" I wonder if this is how early fur traders reacted when Native American's introduced them to the tobacco plant (lame analogy, I know). Anyway, I'll post some of my poems in the recital spot. And, in respose to your second query, all you have to do is look for a sentence sprinkled with a smile.